Section 5: "A Missions Drive" 
Review of Outline of Acts
- 12:24 Peace, but the Holy Spirit is about to do another huge move!!!
- Maps of Pauls missionary journeys
5.1 Journey to Galatia via Cyprus [13-14]
Paul and Barnabas set apart [13:1-3]
- 13:1-3 is very interesting and helpful when it comes to:
- understanding how leadership functions
- appointing new leaders
- starting new ministries
- In Acts, there is almost always fasting & extended time spent with God before appointing anyone for service
- Even Jesus prayed all night before he chose his disciples: Luke 6:12-16
Cyprus: Elymas struck blind [13:4-12]
- from now on Saul is called Paul, why?
- Pauls first recorded miracle
Pisidia: preached in Synagogue [13:13-52]
- Paul preaches in a synagogue
- Note that this first time sets a pattern
- outline of message
- The usual pattern: 13:44-52
Iconium: signs & wonders [14:1-7]
- 14:3,4 Do signs and wonders guarantee that people are saved?
- Even true in Jesus ministry!
Lystra: Cripple healed, Paul stoned [14:8-20]
Back to Antioch [14:21-28]
5.2 Jerusalem council about Gentiles [15:1-35]
Dispute about circumcision [15:1-5]
The apostles and elders meet [15:6-29]
- what are we to make of these three rules? Are we still bound by them today?
- Did Jews need to keep the ceremonial law to be saved?
The churches are encouraged [15:30-35]
5.3 Paul returns to Galatia & strengthens the churches [15:36-16:5]
- How come Paul and Barnabas had an argument? who was right?
- How do you think we should respond to this?
- Was this a man-made crusade?
- Was there any human wisdom involved? (trick question)
- We can pray for
- a heart to reach the lost
- A pouring out of the Spirits power
- To be like the church in Antioch who were so earnest in wanting God to move that they fasted and prayed until they knew his will