Section 6: "Extended Trips" [16:6]
Review of Outline of Acts
- 12:24 Peace, but the Holy Spirit is about to do another huge move!!!
6.1 Mission trip to Greece [16:6-18:22]
Holy Spirit direction [16:6-10]
- Maps of Pauls missionary journeys
- In his first missionary journeys, Paul didnt go that far from Tarsus, his birthplace.
- Now the Spirit is pushing him out of his comfort zone, into a very different part of the Roman Empire
- Paul and decision-making
- [16:6-7] What do you think this looked like?
- How could it be God preventing them from preaching the Gospel?
- Is the Spirit of Jesus different from the Holy Spirit?
- See 1 Peter 1:10-11
- Did Paul wait for direction about where in Macedonia to go?
Philippi: Lydia & Jailer [16:11-40]
- [16:14] What does it mean that God opened Lydias heart ?
- Did he violate her will?
- [16:16] Could the demons in this slave-girl really tell the future?
- Do demons know the future?
- Do they have any more knowledge than us [e.g. v.17]
- Why did they advertise Paulsurely it would have been better for them to have kept quiet?
- What did you think of when you saw the video of Paul being flogged?
- [16:37-39] Why did Paul not tell them to start with about being a Roman?
- Think of the example this would have set for the new Christians!
- Why make them come and get him out?
- How would this have affected the new Christians?
- [16:40] Not true that Paul has a down on womenhe recognized Lydia as a key person
- (Also he greets lots of women in his letters, and strongly recommends Phoebe)
- Another parallel with Petermiraculous release from prison. (Is there a pattern?)
- What exactly do you think made the jailor want to become a Christian?
Thessalonica: attacked [17:1-9]
- Why was it always the Jews who were their biggest ememies?
- Do similar things ever happen today (i.e. opposition from the religious leaders?)
Berea: received the word [17:10-15]
Athens: preached to pagans [17:16-34]
- [17:16] His preaching different at Athens
- Did he make a mistake?
- Why did he not even mention the cross?
- It was for a good reasonalmost identical message to his other message to pagans at Lystra
- Paul preaching to pagan Gentilescompare the two
Corinth: Two years of teaching [18:1-17]
Return to Antioch [18:18-22]
6.2 Ephesus: Two years of teaching & miracles [18:23-19:20]
- [19:10] Why did he need to spend 2 years teaching?
- all in Asia?
- [19:11-12] Wow!
- signs of an apostle! 2 Cor 11:23-30, 12:10-12
- Could this happen today?
- Should we collect the clothing of godly men & women?
- Would you like the kind of joy in Christ that would make you sing in prison after being severely beaten ?
- Paul had an amazing persistencehe just kept going and brought in an extraordinary harvest
- Would you like the Holy Spirit to take you out of your comfort zone?
- before you pray this, ask yourself if you really do mean it!!!
- pray to be so filled with the joy of Christ that unbelievers will say what must I do to have what you have
- pray that we do not become weary in well-doing, but rise up on eagles wings
- pray that the Spirit will move you out of your comfort zone, and give him permission to do whatever he wants to with you