Part 4a - The Second Scroll: The End of the Age and the New Creation [20-22:5]
note: these are very brief notes
- This section is expanding on the very last few events of the victory of God
- But takes us further into the future than any other visions
- The Dragon: subdued for 1000 years [20:1-6]
- The Dragon: released, fights, and is thrown into lake of fire [20:7-10]
- Great white throne. The dead are judged [20:11-15]
- Judgement —for believers this is not on works but on what Christ has done for us
- See the chart for where these things might fit
- A new heaven and a new earth [21:1]
- A bride adorned for her husband. “Behold, I am making all things new!” [21:2-8]
- The beauty of the city (the wife of the Lamb) [21:9-27]
- there is no temple because Jesus is there, he dwells in the city so he is with us and in us
- gold and precious stones is US. WE are the city, this is not where we will live.
- this is new Eden imagery. Eden was described with precious stones, and the presence of God was there
- Similar language was used to describe Solomon’s temple, which is a picture of the church, the people of God
- But in Eden there were only two people—now there is a city
- The new creation will be unimaginably more amazing than even Eden
- Just as Adam was given a task in Eden, we will be called into new destinies and responsibilities
- Picture language has to be used to describe the new creation because there is something about it that is totally out of our comprehension in its wonder and glory
- The River of Life [22:1-5]
- [21:22]—the Father and Jesus are mentioned, but where is the Holy Spirit? [22:1,2]—the River of Life maybe symbolizes the Holy Spirit.
- He flows through the city, so he is flowing through US, in an unlimited amount.
- will there be animals in heaven? Rom. 8 says the whole creation groans and longs for its redemption.
- Probably, but we can’t be sure. Anyway, it will be good!
Updated on 2011-05-27 by Andrew Fountain - loveintruth.com/teaching