Regular Bible reading is a struggle for more Christians than would like to admit it.
- The two most common complaints are:
- that it is difficult to be regular
- that the times are barren and empty
- These two are undoubtedly linked together:
- When the Bible is feeding us and giving us spiritual encouragement, then it is easy to keep reading
- but when we find it dry and tedious it soon becomes neglected.
We should not be too surprised that reading and praying can be hard. The devil is intent on doing all he can to make Christians fall. If he can keep them from their Bibles and from the place of prayer he has certainly accomplished a major victory. He well knows that it is by these means that Christians grow strong in faith and are able to resist him. So he makes these things a special target for attack.