II Thessalonians 1:7-2:12
Jesus will execute Judgement after he returns
- …and to give you who are troubled rest with us when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
- in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his power,
- when he comes, in that Day, to be glorified in his saints and to be admired among all those who believe, because our testimony among you was believed.
- Therefore we also pray always for you that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfill all the good pleasure of his goodness and the work of faith with power,
- that the name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Jesus will not return before “the falling away” comes, and the “man of sin” is revealed
- Now, brethren, concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to him, we ask you,
- not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of Christ had come.
- Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition,
- who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.
- Do you not remember that when I was still with you I told you these things?
- And now you know what is restraining, that he may be revealed in his own time.
- For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only he who now restrains will do so until he is taken out of the way.
Jesus will destroy him at his coming
- And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord will consume with the breath of his mouth and destroy with the brightness of his coming.
- The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders,
- and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
- And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie,
- that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
Updated on 2011-05-24 by Andrew Fountain - loveintruth.com/teaching