Stories of God’s Justice
—God’s Nature and Character
- Andrew Fountain – Oct 20, 2015
1. Adam and Eve
- Adam and Eve break God’s command (Genesis 2)
- Then the LORD God commanded the man, “You may freely eat fruit from every tree of the orchard,
- but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will surely die.”
2. Cain: Genesis 4
- So now, you are banished from the ground, which has opened its mouth to receive your brother’s blood from your hand.
- When you try to cultivate the ground it will no longer yield its best for you. You will be a homeless wanderer on the earth.”
- Then Cain said to the LORD, “My punishment is too great to endure!
- Look! You are driving me off the land today, and I must hide from your presence. I will be a homeless wanderer on the earth; whoever finds me will kill me.”
- But the LORD said to him, “All right then, if anyone kills Cain, Cain will be avenged seven times as much.” Then the LORD put a special mark on Cain so that no one who found him would strike him down.
3. The Flood: Genesis 6
- But the LORD saw that the wickedness of humankind had become great on the earth. Every inclination of the thoughts of their minds was only evil all the time.
4. Sodom & Gomorrah
Discussion with Abraham in Genesis 18:
- “Far be it from you to do such a thing — to kill the godly with the wicked, treating the godly and the wicked alike! Far be it from you! Will not the judge of the whole earth do what is just?”
- As surely as I live, declares the sovereign LORD, your sister Sodom and her daughters never behaved as wickedly as you and your daughters have behaved.
- ” ‘See here — this was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters had majesty, abundance of food, and enjoyed carefree ease, but they did not help the poor and needy.
- They were haughty and practiced abominable deeds before me. Therefore when I saw it I removed them.
“Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD:
Though your sins are as scarlet
they shall be as white as snow
Though they are red as as crimson,
they shall be as white as wool.”