Love—Our New Identity
- Andrew Fountain – Oct 21, 2015
New Creation Identity—born of God
- If you know that he is righteous, you may be sure that everyone who practices righteousness has been born of him.
- See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him.
- Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is.
- And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.
God’s love inside us, loving others
- By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother.
- For this is the message that you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
- We should not be like Cain, who was of the evil one and murdered his brother....
- We know that we have passed out of death into life, because we love the brothers. Whoever does not love abides in death.
Assurance 1 John 3:19
- By this we shall know that we are of the truth and reassure our heart before him;
1 John 4
- So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.
- By this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so also are we in this world.
- There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
- Giving ourselves in love is the way to life
1 John 3 —it really pleases Jesus
- and whatever we ask we receive from him, because we keep his commandments and do what pleases him.
- And this is his commandment, that we believe in the name of his Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as he has commanded us.
How is this not a burden?
- 1 John 5:3 “For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome.”
- It’s already in you to love—it’s who you are now in the Spirit!