Temptation to Give Up
— Hebrews 1-5:10
- Andrew Fountain — May 11th, 2011
1. New Revelation through Jesus
- God has spoken to us in an entirely new, and infinitely superior way, through Jesus.
- Jesus is not just a spiritual being, like the angels, but God the Son
- So if it was serious to ignore God speaking in the past, how much more serious is it now!
- Especially given the supernatural evidence
2. New Destiny in Jesus
- Jesus fulfill’s God’s original destiny for man, being raised higher than the angels
- As his sons and daughters we share his destiny
- He is not ashamed of us, but trusts us Hebrews 2:9-18
- This puts into perspective the “shamimg” of society
- 1:13 those who will inherit
- 2:5 subjected the world to come (cf v.16)
- 2:10 bring to glory
3. The Picture of Israel
- Even though Moses was faithful, he failed to lead his people into the rest of the promised land
- because they didn’t trust God, but rejected his promise
- Joshua victories, leading them into the promised land were just a picture
- The real promised rest is available to us to enter by faith
- We have better promises and a better leader, so there is no excuse!
4. The New Priest
- Jesus is better than the old priests
- They had to sacrifice for their own sins, as well as the people’s
- Jesus’s priestly offering was accepted and so he can give eternal salvation to those who follow him
5. Hebrews 6:
- For it is impossible in the case of those who have once been enlightened, tasted the heavenly gift, become partakers of the Holy Spirit,
- tasted the good word of God and the miracles of the coming age,
- and then have committed apostasy, to renew them again to repentance, since they are crucifying the Son of God for themselves all over again and holding him up to contempt.
Hebrews 6 cont’d
- For the ground that has soaked up the rain that frequently falls on it and yields useful vegetation for those who tend it receives a blessing from God.
- But if it produces thorns and thistles, it is useless and about to be cursed; its fate is to be burned.
Those who reject the Spirit
- received light
- tasted supernatural power
- were involved with the Holy Spirit
- saw “heaven come down” in miracles
- “Eschatological Intrusion”
6. But: Hebrews 6
- But in your case, dear friends, even though we speak like this, we are convinced of better things relating to your salvation.
- For God is not unjust so as to forget your work and the love you have demonstrated for his name, in having served and continuing to serve the saints
- But we passionately want each of you to demonstrate the same eagerness for the fulfillment of your hope until the end,
- so that you may not be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and perseverance inherit the promises.
Those who’s salvation is secure
- have demonstrated love for one another
- but need to be eager, not sluggish
- What is needed: persevering faith in the promises
How about you?
- Do you need encouragement not to give up?
- Even here, there may be some who will turn away
- What gives us confidence is not our supernatural gifts, but seeing God put his love in our hearts
Updated on 2011-05-11 by Andrew Fountain