5. The Church in the light of heaven 5:1-11
5.1 Relationships with leaders [5:1-7]
- So as your fellow elder and a witness of Christís sufferings
and as one who shares in the glory that will be revealed,
I urge the elders among you:
- What is an elder?
- Do we have elders today?
- Give a shepherdís care to Godís flock among you,
exercising oversight not merely as a duty but willingly under Godís direction,
not for shameful profit but eagerly.
- Are any leaders ever in it for the money?
- And do not lord it over those entrusted to you, but be examples to the flock.
- Then when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that never fades away.
- In the same way, you who are younger, be subject to the elders.
And all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another,
because God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.
- And God will exalt you in due time,
if you humble yourselves under his mighty hand
- by casting all your cares on him because he cares for you.
- Verses 6 and 7 are linked, and this is a good translation
- It is humiliating (hurts our pride) to depend totally on someone
- example of Daniel Wallace
5.2 Resisting the devil and surviving suffering [5:8-11]
- Be sober and alert. Your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is on the prowl looking for someone to devour.
- Should we be scared of him?
- Resist him, strong in your faith, because you know that your brothers and sisters throughout the world are enduring the same kinds of suffering.
- No, we resist him!!
- Example of Guy Chevreau in Italy
- And, after you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace who called you to his eternal glory in Christ will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.
- Again, notice the little while
- To him belongs the power forever. Amen.
- And this is why we dont have to worryour heavenly daddy has all the power forever
Back to main teaching page at loveintruth.com