4. How to survive the trial by fire 4:12-19
- Beloved, do not be astonished at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you.
- But rejoice in the degree that you have shared in the sufferings of Christ, so that when his glory is revealed you may also rejoice and be glad.
- If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory, who is the Spirit of God, rests on you.
- But let none of you suffer as a murderer or thief or criminal or as a troublemaker.
- But if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but glorify God that you bear such a name.
- For it is time for judgment to begin,
starting with the house of God.
And if it starts with us,
what will be the fate of those who are
disobedient to the gospel of God?
It is not a negative thing for Gods people, but for purifying
- House of God refers literally to the Temple, as a picture of Gods people [2:4]
- It is probably a reference to Malachi 3 where God purified the priests before he could bring blessing
- And if the righteous are barely saved, what will become of the ungodly and sinners?
- Quote from Proverbs 11:31
- How can we understand this?
- (The importance of context)
- So then let those who suffer according to the will of God entrust their souls to a faithful Creator as they do good.
- Conclusionit really is all about trusting our heavenly father
Back to main teaching page at loveintruth.com